We present to you a project called „Motovun: a history in motion“ in which we simultaniously
introduce our visitors with local history of Motovun, as well as hosting workshops and
educations regarding Istrian gastronomy. We'll take you through a two thousand years old
history where You can meet the most famous past residents of our pitoresque little town,
stroll through Motovun forest, „ride“ the train called Parenzana, experience the cohabitation
of noblemen and common folk, douse in imagination through Istrian myths and legends, and
all of that being summed up under one denominator – motion... so let's go:
• The family Polesini: the most longevous noble family in Motovun, it's members were
one of the most revered people in whole Motovun's history. We meet prominent
„movers and shakers“ of this family – who they were and where have they been, as
well as their destiny in recent times.
• Rural Motovun: it's the story about the Istrian peasant, the cultivation of olives, the
tools they used. In this part of center there's also a working water wheel, with adjecent
mill, where real flour will be made.
• Joseph Ressel: this segment is dedicated to 19th century Czech inventor and forester.
His biggest acoplishment is invention of Archimedal ship propeller, as well as one type
of ball bearing. Being a forester, he was a curator of Motovun forest.
• Motovun forest: in this vivid segment, you can feel the puls of Motovun forest and
bask the ambience of this woodland area. Breathe in the interesting history, touch the
tree bark, sense the smells, and find out lots of thing about most famous Motovun
forest „inhabitant“ – tartufo.
• Parenzana: at the beginning of the past century, there was an Istrian rural railroad
called Parenzana. The town of Motovun was one of the many stations on its way from
Poreč (Parenzo) to Trieste. Ride the iron rail history of Parenzana, but also learn
something about Motovun in that time period.
• Andrea Antico de Montona: a music printer and composer from 16th century. He was
born in Motovun, but his glory awaited him in Venice and Rome. Here you can track
the life path of this pioneer of music printing.
• Motovun Film Festival: this year MFF will celebrate its 20th anniversary. As an
inevitable emblem of modern Motovun history, we dedicate one segment to this
world-wide famous film festival. You can see how this festival began, how it developed
and popularized Motovun itself. Also, you will be able to watch clips from movies made
in or around Motovun.
• Mario Andretti: a true auto-moto legend, Mario Andreti, the champion in NASCAR and
Formula 1 competitions, was born in Motovun. Have a look at his childhood in warstricken
Motovun, and his way to fame in octane world.
• Myths and legends: every people has their own surreal stories and charachters, and
Istria/Motovun is no exception. You can find out „this and that“ about local legends
and myths. There's, also, a monumental and imposing sculpture of Veli Jože, a giant
from one of these stories, who is a synonim for Motovun in Croatia. As a metaphorical
figure, symbolising the rise of national spirit of surpressed Croatians and Slovenes, he
takes a massive role in local imagery, as well as in physical space at our cultural and
• Workshops: our presenters will show You the process of making flour, which will then
be used to make local cuisine delicacies: pasta and pastry. The visitors can also
participate in the whole making process, and taste their own food.
Working hours 10am -6pm
*: 25 kn
*kids 5-15g: 15 kn
*family 2+ 2 : 60 kn
*group tickets : 15 kn
More info and workshop informations (bread, pasta etc.) 052 681 607 ili meil: email@example.com