According to an inscription carved above its exit portal, the Tower, better known as the "New Gate", obtained its name following a reconstruction in 1607, during the government of the Podestà (magistrate) Marco Pasqualagio. The tower is linked to the Municipal Palace and, through it, to the walls of the citadel. Above the entrance and exit portals, former town gates, machicolations were inserted and used by the defenders to drop heavy objects on the attackers or to pour hot oil and boiling water on them.